Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dance on Video: "Human Steps"

Dance on video ignites right away a controversial debate.  For some, dance is an art form performed by a dancer's body to be experienced in real time through an audience member's body.  When video comes into play, or any form of technology for that matter, what the dance is and what's really affecting it's choreography, and perception is muddled a bit by the influence of another form of media.


When asked to take a look at dance on video by a friend, my first hesitation was not that I wouldn't "like" the dance, but that I would be critiquing it the entire time trying to decipher the "real" from the "cinematic"...ah, I know myself all too well!


In regards to the dance of this piece, it is certainly captivating - moments of silhouetted ballerina movements, urgent partner-work, interruptions of pacing, and a shift in female character in the end to a more harsh, arm-heavy choreographed segment.


But, at the same time, we must consider the great impact of the fact that this dance is being presented to me via video, the cinematic touches.  Visual angles and perception are things I have no control over, but the cinematographer does.  For instance, when she flicks her pointe shoe to second position instead of seeing the image of her body as I might in the live performance, I see the dramatized, artistic selection pre-made by someone else of just her foot flying quickly towards me.  There are other moments throughout where the movement is sped to almost impossible quickness, and slowed to exaggerate a mid-air jump.  There are others where we see the choreography from above, straight on, only her, only him, or are only allowed a glimpse of a single part of their moving body. 


More than anything, watching dance like this brings into question for me the role of the choreographer, because unless (as in this film) the choreographer is also the cinematographer, the "creator's" responsibilities are either shared, or limited.  Interesting!


Take a look for yourself! - The video Human Steps is posted by Erdem Zengin, a film choreographed and filmed by Edouard Lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment