Monday, May 23, 2011

Ankole Modern

Last January 2010, I had the pleasure of spening a little under a month in Kampala, Uganda, studying dance with fellow college students (from NYU's Dance Education Graduate program as well as Uganda's Makerere University) and teaching dance to children from various organizations.  It was an experience that I cannot speak highly enough about and I think about often.

Just recently, one of the many great friends I made in Kampala, Ssekate Ivanovich, shared some video footage of our performance at the Uganda National Theater of Ankole Modern - a piece choreographed and taught by Deborah Damast, an NYU professor, that was inspired by the Ugandan Ankole cow's look and movement.

If you have a facebook account, please check out the links below to view footage of our performance!

ANKOLE MODERN - Intro (1 & 2)

ANKOLE MODERN - Part 3

ANKOLE MODERN - Part 4

To read further about this trip, please visit Dancer's Diary: CULTURAL COLLABORATIONS, my diary for Dance Spirit Magazine's January 2011 issue chronicling my experience as a student, teacher, American and dancer in Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment