Monday, January 3, 2011

Black Swan

Go see it.  Seriously, people - if you are a dancer, non-dancer, movie lover, or human being you should see Black Swan.  It's unlike any dance movie we've seen in awhile (sorry, Step Up 1, 2 and 3D...)  It is horridly beautiful masterpiece of ballet, passion, sex and a psycological rollercoaster ride. 


Watching it with my friend, a non-dancer, was very interesting for me to see.  While I resonated with the ballerina's struggle to nail the notorious Swan Lake 32 consecitive fouette sequence, he was fascinated with the cinematorgraphy and story telling of the whole thing. 


By the end, he and I roamed around the city just talking about it, thinking about it, kind of in this strange state of I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself-after-experiencing-that.  To draw on two very strong themes from the film he described the journey of the ballerina as a "choreographed orgasm."  You'll have to see for yourself to see what that means to you!


To be honest, it's days later and I'm still pondering it.  Definitely going to see it again.  For you dancers, it is certain to make you re-evaluate your dance persona, if you will, and where dance falls on the passion scale for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment